Job Title: Scientist in Membrane Technology
Job Ref: AWAM_Jobs_2022_03
Job Type: The successful candidate will be contracted as a scientist under a term employment contract.
Job Salary: In accordance with the work experience and qualification of the candidate.
Job Location: Regia Douro Science Park, Vila Real, Portugal.
Job Description and Responsibilities:
The candidate will join the Fraunhofer Portugal AWAM team in Vila Real and perform research activities for the proof-of-concept of membrane technologies (e.g., gas permeation and pervaporation or liquid filtration), envisaging product refinement and bioenergy-related applications of practical utility. The work activities include contributing to the assembling and commissioning of membrane-based units, and performing membrane application tests (e.g., characterization, screening, stability, etc.) in the laboratory and at the end user’s premises (i.e., for assessment in a real setting). Eventually, the candidate can also contribute to modelling and simulation work under the guidance of AWAM’s senior scientists.
Personal Skills and Professional Experience:
- Proven technical know-how in the field of membrane technology is an asset.
- Hands-on experience in the laboratory is highly valued; 1-2 years’ experience in an R&D centre.
- Ability to work autonomously – i.e., with minimum supervision (e.g., weekly) – and within a dynamic team.
- Pro-active attitude, eagerness to learn and strong work ethic.
- Performs allocated tasks efficiently (i.e., quickly and with quality) and complies with safety practices.
- Proven experience in programming (e.g., in Matlab) is not required, but is highly valued.
- Fluent in English, both written and verbal, proficiency in Portuguese is an advantage.
- Master’s degree in chemical engineering, bioengineering, biological engineering, environmental engineering, or similar.
- Scientific publications, communications, and other dissemination activities are not mandatory, but highly valued.
What we offer:
- Excellent work conditions.
- Possibility of pursuing a PhD in the field of membrane technology.
- Participation in exciting projects with high economic impact.
- Being part of the team of one of the most renowned applied R&D institutions in the world.
- Adequate salary (depending on the professional experience and academic degree).
- Possibility to adhere to a private health insurance plan.
- Opportunities for further training.
Applications are permanently open until the ideal candidate is selected. A first “cut-off” day to evaluate applications will be the 9th of September 2022.
The selected candidate is expected to start working in September/October 2022.
Applications shall be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and contain in one PDF file:
- CV – mandatory;
- Motivation Letter – mandatory;
- Qualifications certificate and diploma supplement with transcripts – mandatory.
- Recommendation Letters are optional but also welcome.
The research activities in the scope of this job opportunity are planned to be developed within the framework of the projects:
- VineandWinePT – Vine and Wine Portugal - Driving Sustainable Growth through Smart Innovation, with project ID RE-C05-i01.01.
- METHAREN – Innovative biomethane system integration boosting production while managing Renewable energies intermittency, with reference 101084288, Funded by Horizon Europe.